University of Virginia - Charlottesville, Virginia
Cocke Hall is part of a three-building ensemble, designed in 1896 by Stanford White, on Thomas Jefferson’s Lawn at the University of Virginia. It is a National Historic Landmark on a United Nations World Heritage Site. The new program is composed of faculty offices, seminar rooms and classrooms, all smaller than the original instructional spaces. The lower level holds the Classics Department and their library; the main level a classroom at the end of each wing, and most of the Philosophy Department; and a wholly new upper level created a horseshoe-shaped suite of faculty and graduate assistant offices with views down into a new reception room. The project is fully accessible at all entrances, which would lead to the first significant landscape changes at the south end of the Lawn in half a century.
Associate Architect: Boynton Rothschild Rowland Architects
Structural Engineer: Fox & Associates
Mechanical, Plumbing, and Electrical Engineer: Whitescarver, Hurd, & Obenchain, Inc.
Landscape Architect: Reed Hilderbrand Associates
Civil: Draper Aden Associates
A/V and Acoustical Design: Acentech Inc.
Preservation Consulting: John G. Waite Associates
Construction Cost Estimator: DMS Construction Consulting Services, Inc.
General Contractor: RE Lee & Son, Inc.
Photographer: © Prakash Patel Photography